Biggest changes for road upgrades include:
- Cat 5 (Novice) to Cat 4: Voluntary (upgrade at will). A mandatory upgrade takes place if the rider earns 10 points in 12 months.
- Cat 4 to Cat 3: 20 points in 36 months or 20 pack finishes as a cat 4, of which 3 finishes may be from Gran Fondos that are USAC sanctioned.
- Point Table: One points table covers both crits and road races.
Biggest changes for cross upgrades include:
- Cat 5 (Novice) to Cat 4: Voluntary (upgrade at will). A mandatory upgrade takes place if the rider earns 10 points in 12 months or finishes 10 races.
- Cat 4 to Cat 3: 10 points in 36 months.
Definition of Field Size has changed to the total number of individuals who start the event regardless of any combination of categories. For example, if 75 people line up for a combined race (1/2/3, 4/5,3/4, 2/3 etc.) the field size is 75 for all participants.
Full details can be found here by discipline: https://www.usacycling.org/about-us/governance/policy-viii#generalpolicies.
Effective immediately you may recalculate your upgrade eligibility based on these new policies. Please be patient with slower response times on upgrade requests as we all adjust to the new policies.
Effective March 1, 2020, all upgrades will be processed at USAC.