In case you missed it, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan cancelled all events in Seattle parks until after April 13, 2020, including the Thursday Night series at Seward Park. New start date TBD. The WSBA race calendar is constantly updated to reflect cancelled and rescheduled events: http://www.wsbaracing.org/calendar.html
Two primary questions are being asked regarding the USAC statement published last night in regards to Covid19 and the resulting guidance to avoid group interactions.
What defines a group?
Obviously, this is an area where we all have a perspective and opinions on what makes a ‘group’. We also know there’s a varying level of comfort by individuals on who they’re comfortable being around in these strange times.
At this point the WSBA and USAC would suggest a group is defined by the individuals you have daily contact with (akak your inner circle) as to help keep exposure opportunities minimized.
What about National Championship events?
USAC is working based on the calendar flow. Next up on the championship calendar is collegiate & para championships in May.
USAC is evaluating Collegiate qualification standards as most Collegiate racing across the country is on hold.
USAC recognizes there are many moving parts for athletes to attend National Championships and are working to keep everyone informed as decisions are made.
From the ToWW Promoters:
To all the cyclists preparing for the Tour of Walla Walla:
We know there has recently been speculation and concern about whether the TOFWW would take place this year. With much regret, we have had to cancel the 2020 TOFWW. The Governor of Washington announced Friday afternoon that all events with 250 or more people in attendance will not be allowed for the next 6 wks. We were anticipating that this would happen and had been considering that move given the current state of uncertainty, but we were still holding out hope that the race would take place, unfortunately this is not the case.
It was shaping up to be a fantastic year for the Tour and we were looking forward to a great event along with the Tour of Washington. This will be only the second time in 23 years that this spring classic has not taken place. As before the race will be missed and we will miss seeing the racers.
Looking ahead to May 21-23, 2021 we will be ready for the return of stage racing in Walla Walla. Remember, we are changing dates next year! All riders that are registered for this year’s race will have their registration transferred to the 2021 race. Please contact us if other arrangements need to be made.
We wish you good health and hope that you support later season races and events that are rescheduled. Be sure to come and see us in September for the Walla Walla Grit gravel event/race – registration will open soon on BikeReg.
Until next year!
Michael and Kathryn Austin – TOFWW Race Directors.
Based on guidance from the cities & jurisdictions in Southern WA & Oregon the following events are being postponed with dates TBD as details are being worked through.
Events that have been rescheduled include:
May 30, 2020 - NW TT Series #1
May 31, 2020 – Independence Valley Road Race
June 13, 2020 – Vance Creek Road Race
June 14, 2020 – NW TT Series #3
Please have patience will the promoters and us here at the WSBA as we are all focused on doing what is best for the community & sport while also trying to juggle our real ‘lives – work & family’ that are also being thrown into disarray by this situation.
We will be continuing to monitor the situation and post updates as information becomes available.
Please subscribe to our FB page or the WSBA Google Group list for push notifications.
None of us like to see events cancelled or postponed but as state, county & city guidelines are constantly being updated the situation remains extremely fluid and in flux as to how these guidelines will affect the road racing season.
To that end Tour De Dung #2 is indefinitely postponed.
Current guidelines issued by the State & King County can be found here:
We are in touch with USAC and promoters trying to look at alternative dates with the hope that our region will resume some normalcy before too long and the promoters are able to secure the venues to hold their events at later date.
We will continue to publish updates as we receive relevant information.
The promoter for Tour De Dung out of concern over Covid19 have opted to cancel Tour De Dung #1 scheduled for Saturday 3/14.
They will be in direct contact with those of you that have pre-registered.
For those that are looking to test their race legs in REAL LIFE Sunday's road race in Longview WA is still a go!
Check it out
Travel time to Longview isn't that much more than to Sequim with ferry time included et al.
Zone5 Promotions is new to the WSBA community and has a great reputation for well run and fun events.
August 2020 is WSBA Championship month!
Yes, this means you have racing options the entire summer!
Mark your calendars:
Thanks to support from our partners Völkl & Voler, the category winners will be awarded a champion’s jersey at the race finish.
All Washington, North Idaho and Oregon members are eligible to win WSBA championships, including gold medals and the championship jersey. All USAC/UCI and one day licensed riders are eligible to compete in WSBA championship events. However, racers from areas outside the USAC-defined geographic designation of the WSBA and one day license holders will not be awarded medals or championship jerseys.
Additionally, the WSBA BARR series is on hiatus for 2020.
USAC has posted new upgrade policies for all the cycling disciplines. Significant changes are intended to simplify and speed up the process for all members.
Biggest changes for road upgrades include:
Biggest changes for cross upgrades include:
Definition of Field Size has changed to the total number of individuals who start the event regardless of any combination of categories. For example, if 75 people line up for a combined race (1/2/3, 4/5,3/4, 2/3 etc.) the field size is 75 for all participants.
Full details can be found here by discipline: https://www.usacycling.org/about-us/governance/policy-viii#generalpolicies.
Effective immediately you may recalculate your upgrade eligibility based on these new policies. Please be patient with slower response times on upgrade requests as we all adjust to the new policies.
Effective March 1, 2020, all upgrades will be processed at USAC.
USAC will process auto-renewal memberships on December 30, 2019. This slides the originally published deadlines for WSBA 2020 number allocation to the following schedule.
The WSBA will allocate WSBA numbers in two waves for the 2020 season.
(1) Renew your WSBA membership by January 5, 2020, to receive your numbers by the end of January. You may RENEW your WSBA membership during the online USA Cycling renewal process, or JOIN the WSBA when you sign up for a new USAC membership. The first shipment of numbers will be sent to teams and individuals starting January 20, 2020.
If you are on the USAC auto-renew program, your auto-renew will automatically add a WSBA membership to your purchase for 2020.
(2) If you renew your WSBA membership between January 6, 2020, and January 25, 2020, your numbers will be shipped after February 10, 2020.
WSBA membership is $25 for 2020.
(1) Before you renew, please check that the mailing address in your USAC account is current.
(2) If you purchased your 2019 WSBA membership via PayPal or other methods, you will need to manually purchase your WSBA membership through USAC or via this link: https://www.bikereg.com/2020wsba.
(3) If you aren’t renewing with USAC for 2020, if your USAC account doesn’t show WSBA as your Local Association, or if you’ve never had a USAC membership, follow this link: https://www.bikereg.com/2020wsba
(4) WSBA race numbers will be sent to each team for members whose USAC accounts indicate membership in that road team. Team leaders will receive an email confirming the address on file for their team. Please update the team information within the USAC database no later than January 1, 2020, to insure proper delivery of your team members’ numbers. Numbers for members without a team affiliation will be individually mailed to the member’s address in the USAC database.
(5) Renewals received after January 25 and before February 25 will be shipped in mid-March. For memberships purchased after March 1, allow at least 3 weeks to receive race numbers. After June 1, new and renewing members should email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate membership purchase or the membership may not be processed due to so few new members in this time frame.
(6) Numbers returned due to incorrect addresses will be resent after all new memberships are processed. Any member whose numbers are returned for an incorrect address more than one time will be subject to a $5.00 handling fee. Please verify your address on file with USAC is correct when you renew.
Don’t forget to support our Number sponsors Absolute Mortgage and Tandm Real Estate.
$1000 closing cost credit with Craig Walker of Absolute Mortgage
click here: www.ApprovedbyCraig.com “APPLY NOW”
TandM Real Estate
Discounted listing fee and 20% credit to Sellers.